Under the Skin was one of my absolute favorite films of last year, and it’s screening tonight @ 7:30 at The Regent with a live orchestra, conducted by Mica Levi, composer of the film’s ambient score. Promises to be a memorable event, for a film that deserves any and all attention it can get.
Also, because it’s sort of relevant, here are my top films of 2014:
10. Edge of Tomorrow
8. X-Men: Days of Future Past - loved Guardians and Winter Soldier, but Magneto borrowing a baseball stadium was the most perfect comic book thing i saw in a movie, all year.
7. Boyhood - out on blu-ray today, and so worth your time…but if you’re too busy, just watch the super-abridged version:
6. Too Many Cooks
5. White Bird in a Blizzard - Eva Green was spectacular all year in 300: Rise of an Empire, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, and Showtime’s Penny Dreadful, but this was her best.
4. The Grand Budapest Hotel - that a new Wes Anderson movie could only get as high as #4 is a testament to the staggering quallity of this year’s releases.
2. Under the Skin
1. Interstellar – The most overwhelming and transfixing experience i’ve had in a movie theater since Mulholland Drive, 13 years ago. Amplified and enhanced by a brief appearance by William Devane. William Devane!!